[VAL] Introduction and stumpduction

First an introduction. My wife Frances and I own a 1975 Tradewind 25'
Airstream which we purchased sight unseen through eBay last October. This is
our first ever experience with an RV of any sort and of course with an
Airstream. Maybe I was looking for a hobby. We scrubbed, and replaced, and
fixed, and guessed our way on a maiden voyage this past January of 4000 miles
through the Florida Keys and the rest of that warm state. Returning to
Wisconsin we redid our interior to suit our needs. Since that trip we have
made several others, joined WBCCI and the Vintage Club, attended a rally and
got our Badges!!!!! (Those stinking badges) And I have become the chaplain of
our Badger unit. (Even though I made a joke about Wally Byram and all the twin
bed model Airstreams.) Plus I learned to never open the hood of my truck at an
Airstream rally. Best of all we now know owning an Airstream is not just
owning an RV it's owning a lifestyle
I spend countless hours working on our Airstream and wonder what did I do
before I bought this project? I am learning things I never wanted to know and
finding things I always wanted to be able to do.
During our last trip we decided it was time to get the water pump working (it
only worked once and for a short time in Georgia. Please no one tell me I need
to go back to Georgia to use the pump.) Our AS has a typical history it was
purchased in 1975 and then parked and not used for 25 years. During that time
of  non- use things got kind of dried out and funny. Right after we bought the
AS we had to have much of the wiring replaced along with the converter. The
mechanic put in a Centurion 60 amp converter. He called and asked if it would
be alright to install it on the top of the old converter since he was having
trouble getting the old one out. At that time I had no clue what a converter
even was used for so said "sure go ahead." Prior to the new converter fuses
were blowing quicker than gas at a bean convention. He also had to replace all
of the wiring for the outside lights and a lot of the inside wiring.
Unfortunately this guy never removed anything he replaced!
Here is what I have today. My control panel is wacky. When I check the gauges
they work fine but when I turn on the control panel light or the pump switch (
you were wondering when I would get back to the pump) the control panel turns
off!  Stated in other words if I hold open the switch to the main tank and see
it registers half full then turn on either the light or pump the gauge will
register 0 or turn off.  I am positive that this must be a ground somewhere
that is not connected properly . I have posted this to the AS forum but their
answers have been a little too technical for me for me to understand. I have
checked all connections on the converter and everything is tight. The ground
is attached.
Does anyone have an idea as to what can be causing this wacky problem and
better yet have an easy solution to this wacky problem. There is a rally we
will be attending this month and already we have been warned that the water is
limited and I am of the age that a nightly pee or three is a must so I am open
to suggestions.
How about installing a second battery under my sink to run just the pump? Or
using the power from the vent fan over the stove which works fine to run the
pump?
Kent