[VAL] Andy at Inland RV re: windows, water fill caps

Hi Andy,

You are correct I am sure about the cost difference of the actual windows
being made in small quantities versus the Lexan *replacement* type.  The
Lexan would certainly take a lot of abuse versus one hit in the right place
for that tempered glass original window.  The metal moldings were a plus in
more ways than one as you stated below.

It would really be interesting for those of us not in need of these
replacement windows that have had our interest piqued, to finally know how
many people actually are able to order and have made, glass windows for
their Airstream trailers.  I for one would like to know if and when it
happens how expensive these glass replacements cost as compared to the Lexan
windows you offer.  I would think that the setup costs alone would deter
most vintage Airstreamers from the glass and quickly convert them to the
Lexan alternative.  Let's hope we hear 'the rest of the story' when the jury
comes in.

What do you know about the water fill caps that has been discussed, Andy?
Did you see Dr G's post with all his measurements he did on his own water
refill cap?  Do you carry replacements for those in need of these caps?  If
you are familiar with them (and I have NO doubt you must be by now) do you
know of any other way people have secured them not only TO their trailers
but also how people have secured them for personal safety as it concerns
their drinking water supply in some cases?

Short of building a security 'box' to enclose the water fill cap as I did on
our 1969 29' International Ambassador what have you seen others do?  Maybe
not much thought has been given to the idea of securing the water fill cap;
maybe there isn't much concern (well, at least there wasn't before now I'm
guessing) about *theft* of an easily taken part of our vintage Airstream by
those who in the past would steal hubcaps or worse.  I was more concerned
about the integrity of our drinking water supply years ago when I made my
own locking security box -- not that would ever stop anyone intent on doing
harm.

I think it's awful that terrorism today causes us to think about our
personal safety even while we are trying to get away from it all, relaxing
in our home away from home Airstream trailers.  I guess the *real* carefree
days are now in the past when we have to constantly be vigilant about our
surroundings.

So, do you know about those water fill caps, Andy? ;)

Tom
WBCCI 5303