Re: [VAL] Re: Rear end dragging

Greetings Patti!

I think that the suggestion about hitch "adjustments"
probably refers to what I have to do with my '64 Overlander
in order to get it into my driveway without dragging the
rear bumper supports - - remove the bars that results in
increased dead weight on the hitch and often is just enough
to keep the rear end of the coach from scraping the driveway
upon entry or eixt.  If your Flying Cloud has a front
mounted water tank having it full might also help in
tranferring weight forward (and lowering front when the
weight distribution bars are not attached) - - with a
C/K2500 Suburban as a tow vehicle removing the weight
distribution bars with a coach as light as your Flying Cloud
may not produce a significant drop in the tongue height to
raise the rear of your coach enouch to solve your problem.

It sounds like you are having a problem that is the reverse
of mine - - the hitch brackets for the Dual Cam system on my
Minuet drag when entering or exiting my driveway when my tow
vehicle hits the "drainage swell" at the base of the
driveway.  The suggestion of my city services manager was to
have a steel grate installed at the foot of the driveway - -
it would be about 24" wide in the case of my driveway and
the width of the driveway - - he suggested that as a
permanent solution that would allow for the required
drainage.  Since I only have to navigate the driveway two
more times with the Minuet before I move, I will leave well
enough alone.  In my area the same places that sell the
steel culverts that are often placed under the end of the
driveway also sell the "spanner grates" as well.

Have you considered contacting your city services manager to
see if he/she might have suggestions about finding a
long-term solution?  In the commmunity where I live, the
city services department has been known to provide
assistance with contouring the balcktop near driveways where
vehicle clearances are a problem due to crowing in the
street-to-driveway approach.  I had a much more significant
problem before they recountoured the approaches to my
driveways when the streets were re-sealed two years ago that
a "spanner-grate" wouldn't have solved.

Good luck in finding a solution to your driveway issues!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado
Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)