[VAL] Black water valve follow up

Hi Chris,
Thanks for responding in a timely manner, that being that I just
returned from the only Airstream dealer in NE. After a brief conversion
with the one person that still deals with older trailers at that
dealership over the phone. I decided that  with his suggestion to drive
down and to bring the valve down and he probably had the part I needed.
As luck would have it, he is only there three days a week, and of course
I did not call first before the four hour drive form the White Mountains
to make sure he would be there. When I arrived at the parts counter with
the item in question I got the usual looks I've come to expect that look
from parts guys so I knew it was trouble right away. Since he was not
there, another person jumped in and at first seemed enthusiastic about
finding the solution. That faded quickly but she did place calls to the
Airstream factory which suggested calling Andy at inland (he has not
returned my emails on this or about questions concerning the axle I just
ordered) and the factory also suggested AirstreamDreams, which means
they never check the website. She also called Thetford and was told they
do not have that part. So what is that part you may wonder. I was hoping
for a single pull gate that would match the bolt pattern of the tank or
an adapter that would connect to that bolt pattern and then allow for a
new style valve gate to be attached. Then I could replumb the two gray
water lines together and separate from the new BW valve. I kind of
already knew there is no such thing, but I can not believe one can cut
out the old reciever plate and glassing in a new one is really possible.
But that's what Andy From Inland has written in the AS forum (thanks
Herb Spies) I just don't know how it is done. I think I'm about to
learn.  I still plan to try the brass valve again. This time super
polishing the brass slider door then lubing it up with crisco or
something like that as it is hard to operarate now. Also a larger gasket
in between the body halves themselves (the replacment was a big skinny O
ring and square would be better) . I did take out the toilet last fall
to check it and it seems fine. One closet bolt was broken and the ring
was rusty. It is covered with wax now. I suppose it only makes sense
after all of my denial about the black tank that the end result will be
having to take it out. Oh the horror! Say what you will about Airstream
cabinetry, this tank is buried in there well. Toilet, support box,
bathroom vanity, and closet are all on top. Okay. I will stop whining.
Any new suggestions would be welcomed.
Gary Campbell
62' Safari
Portland, Maine