[VAL] Slabs protocol

Hi Jim,

Good question. Every time we've gone there, we just pull in and find a
level spot. No one has ever rattled our cage about doing that.
Definitely, it's not run like a campground. It's not run like anything.
In our experiences, it's been - everyone decides for themselves where
they'll park. Some friends park in a wagon wheel arrangement.

Many have staked out "their" slab and it's obvious they are the only
ones who will be using that space. Slab residents get there early in
the season and stay until the heat is unbearable.

Before we roll into the slabs, we stock up on everything we think we'll
need for the duration. Leaving the slabs to go to the store is a good a
drive. There is one last turn before the slabs where limited provisions
can be purchased. We've never needed to stop there.

As for how long you can stay, that depends on you and your
inclinations. No one will boot you out. When it gets too hot, most
folks are long gone.

You are correct, there is no water and no electricity. We have not
stayed longer than our black water tank's capacity, although there is a
honey wagon if we did. We treat our grey water with a green no-see-um
that comes out at night and provides underground bathes for gophers.

Many families become acquaintances over their years of staying here. We
found everyone friendly and considerate. We're not spring chicken.
Sandie uses an electric wheel chair that we can charge off our solar
panels as needed. We've never felt vulnerable or at risk while staying
at the slabs. Granted, some of the rigs look outlandish, but they got
there on their own and they're enjoying life.

One thing I -- DO -- do is select my parking spot with specific
criteria in mind. For example:

1- I like parking next to an uneven or rutted place on my driver's
side. Why? No one in their right mind will choose to park too close to
me after I've gone to bed. Yes, people come and go at all hours of the
day an night. I want it to be a major inconvenience for anyone to park
near me at 2 am.

2 - I like parking next to a group of shrubs or a tree on my curb side.
Why? No one in their right mind will park on top of shrubs or try to
squeeze in between the tree and our trailer while we're away on a day
trip. In the morning, we like sitting outside in our pajamas enjoying
our cup of coffee without our neighbor's being able to see if our
coffee has cream in it or not.

3 - I like parking in such a way that I can drive forward when it's
time to leave. Why? I don't like being blocked in by someone who has
left for a day trip that unexpectedly ended up being two or three days.
Some of the parking areas in the sand have common roadways and there's
no mistake. Many of the parking areas do not.

Hope this helps you Jim. If your first time to visit the slabs is with
one or two other friends, everyone will remember it the rest of their
lives - no matter how many additional times you go there.

Terry