[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #224 - New water heater, welding Al alloys, bondo

Don't overlook the combination LP/electric water heaters.
If my inside switched electronic lit heater (LP only) ever dies I will
get a combination unit.
Never had any trouble with this 25 year old unit.
"The $ never stops!"
Just like a house without wheels. Nothing lasts.

2024 is not considered a weldable alloy. The 6000 series, like 6061, is
weldable. Aluminum and its alloys do not solder well. Some will solder
but if there is much stress or vibration it will let go. There is a
discussion of weld problems at
http://www.scientific.net/0-87849-941-5/299.htm.
In a sense all metals are "welded" as they are liquid before initial
forming. But changes in crystalline structure take place during
solidification and forming. In the case of 2024 these changes make it
unsuitable for welding.

Thin sheet metal, even of weldable alloys, is very difficult to weld. It
tends to warp and to melt more than is wanted.

There are some "cold solders" that look sort of aluminumish after
setting. Duro's Plastic Aluminum is one. I think PO used JB-Weld on a
hole in the skin that was poked by a limb. Ugly. I put a piece of
aluminum tape over it. Looks less bad. Doesn't leak, though, and at least
it's on the utilities side of the trailer.
Al