[VAL] Digital wind speed/direction gauge

    All,

    This has absolutely nothing to do with Airstreams but I couldn't resist
sharing as it's soooo cool for a very fair price.

    I just came back from Radio Shack and have a very cool Digital Wind
Gauge in my grubby little mitt.  It was $14.99 and is either on sale or
being blown out, I couldn't get a clear answer from the store guy.  Anyhow,
it's way cool!

    Standing in front of the store in a bit of a breeze, I got it to read 9
mph.  I hung it out the window on the way home and in the six blocks it
took, I was able to get it to 26 mph.

    It's their part #63-1119, a metallic green plastic device that's roughly
5" X 1 1/2" square.  It runs on 4 AAA batteries, for how long I don't know
yet and indicates wind speed and direction.  It just shuts off automatically
and even had a neat red LED flashlight and back lit screen.

    Here's a direct link to it:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=63-11
19

    Hint:  To keep any clear plastic display like the one here or say, on a
cell phone from scratching, lay a single thickness of clear packing tape
over the display.  Cut it out around the edges with a #11 X-acto knife and
it'll never scratch.  When laying it on, bow the tape up at the ends and
place it on the display in the center, slowly working both ends out while
pressing the bubbles out with a free finger or a friends finger.  Any
bubbles not gotten will disappear like magic within 24 hours.

    Way cool,

   Glyn Judson
   1969 Caravel, #508
   Santa Monica CA