[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #219

Dear Gary,

We are in similar circumstances with our '61 Safari, though it sounds like
ours might be in even worse condition!

Isn't Lexxy's job awesome?!!!  I'd printed and saved Lexxy's page, though I
have no skill using a paint sprayer.  The guy in the local boat shop tried to
convince me that brushed on paint was almost as good as spray, but I fear brush
marks.  However, I have done a little fiberglass work, which I found awkward
(you have to wear a full facial respirator, especially when sanding), but not
really difficult (mix up epoxy and bush out on fiber cloth).  I am a little
concerned about filling in the places where chunks of the tub have fallen out.
There are fiberglass filler 'putties"--but the guy in the boat shop said these
can also loosen and fall out.  In his opinion, it was better to do what Lexxy
did and build up layers of cloth and sand, sand, sand--tedious though that is.

At the Cherry Blossom Rally, we learned from other a/s owners that there are
epoxy-based repair compounds ("Tough as Tile" is one brand) which mix up,
brush on and essentially act as a new gel coat.  These are self leveling and we
were really impressed with the results of two layers of the stuff.  They fill in
cracks and come in white and off-white (and they can be tinted with pigment
as well).

So, I'm doing a hybrid of Lexxy's fiberglass repair, followed by wet sanding,
then two coats (wet sanded in between) of Tough as Tile.  That's the
plan--but right now, it's just a little too cold to do fiberglass work (it should cure
at 60-80 degrees--nights are still too chilly).  Anyways, am off Sunday for a
week in S. America (for work)--so hopefully, it will be nicer when I get back!

Let me know what you do and your results!

Mary