[VAL] tank valves

The subject of  tank valves got my attention and have a few questions. I
am approaching the final stretch of my Safari renovation and have
carefully avoided performing the water holding test. The valve was stuck
when I first tried to open it, but with a generous spray down of
lubricant and a firmer pull on the tee handle it slid in and out fairly
easily. I was happy to see that it operated so well and should have
tried the well holding test at that time, but I was a bit overwhelmed by
floor section replacement and waterproofing as a priority to protect the
work as I was proceeding on the interior. Last fall I removed to toilet
thinking it would be just as easy to replace it with a new one. I am
always looking for more ways to spend more money and this seemed like a
good candidate to just replace. After removal and inspection, it was in
perfect condition and seals were cleaned and replaced. While it was
out,  I inspected the inside of the black water tank with flashlight and
mirrors and the tank looked perfect. This would have been the best time
to do the water test on the seal. But the weather was turning cold and
on that day I once again thought it best to keep it dry until spring.
It's Spring.... and Chris Elliott's comment about replacement gaskets
and their unavailability is scary. I would think valve replacement is
not something one does with the tank in place either?  Next week I will
do the water holding test.
Depending on how it goes I will be out and about on Safari, or under and
over until everything is road ready.
Thoughts on valves and gaskets and replacements?
Thanks.
Gary Campbell
62' Safari
Portland, Maine