[VAL] Torsion bars

The latest list had conversations about hooking up
torsion bars.  One was concerned about jacking up the
rear of his 3/4 ton pickup so he could install the
torsion bars.  The other method was to install the
torsion bars before lowering the hitxh down to the
ball.  I am a little confused.  My method has been to
hook up the trailer, raise the jack and then install
the torsion bars using a tension (chain link position)
 that brought the ball back up to the reccomended 19
1/2 in.

19 or 19 1/2 in is the recommendded height according
to our Airstream manual for our 1969 Caravel.

What is the concensus on this matter?

Rob and Carole
San Diego
69 Caravel