[VAL] RE: Airstream Europe

OK RJ, here's the update for the VAL:

-------------------------------------

Hi RJ

Hope you're well.  Thought I'd update you on the Europe issue, having seen
your posting to the VAL (which I do read daily).
The Liner rebuild is very much a personal project, designed more to promote
and push, than really be a prototype - the systems are all way over the top
for a production model.  But obviously some lessons learnt will be valuable.

The new chassis with all the services (incl. tanks) etc. for example is much
heavier duty than would probably be appropriate for a production model.  It
has been finished and shipped to the US.  I'll be over from 31st March to
17th April to oversee the uniting of the rebuilt body and Nidacore floor
with the new chassis.  There'll be some outstanding issues before it can be
shipped back, but its getting there..  I'll be at the Washington DC Unit
Cherry Blossom rally April 1st to 3rd (coutesy of Garnett Harner and Clayton
Rogers) with all my latest CAD drawings and specs for anyone who is
interested.  I will document the project fully for you and the VAC community
in due course.

There is much talk of production for Europe.  I was at the JC plant in Feb
with two other UK colleagues to meet Airstream and collectively we may be in
a position to assist the expansion. Currently various initiatives are in
progress and until these are 'further down the road', production remains
hypothetical.  However, I do personally think its now a question of when and
how, rather than if, but we'll see - I am very realistic!

The Germans are hot for Airstreams.  The other 2 biggest EU markets are the
Netherlands and UK.  The UK travel trailer (as opposed to motorhome) market
is currently 30,000 units a year.

I am not as a general rule posting info to the masses as this is very much a
step by step journey we are on and I do not want to make any promises (yet).
However if you wish to post this update please do.  I do strongly believe
that production of new EU compliant models will be by far the best answer to
the average European's dream to own an Airstream.  Restoring, let alone
completely rebuilding vintage units, is not for the faint hearted or thin
walleted, as those of us who have done it know.

I apologise to all that the eurostream site has not had an update since it
was built.  I have needless to say been focusing my energies on the
physical, rather than digital manifestation of Airstream, but the latter
will catch up.!

Best regards and keep up the great work!

Anthony