[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #186 - Travel trailer insurance

We got a more reasonable (or less unreasonable) quote from Progressive,
our vehicle insurer.

For RV insurance you want real insurance, not just a card to keep the
kopz off of you, so be wary of discount insurers that are hard to deal
with and collect claims.

A strange story -
When we were going to title and register our trailer, Oregon DMV said we
had to have liability insurance on the trailer. I said I had never heard
of any such thing - that the tow vehicle's liability insurance covered
any accident the trailer might get into. Two people with DMV insisted
that liability insurance was required. I emphasized that this was a
non-powered trailer, not a motor home. Made no difference to them.

I checked with Progressive and three of the writers assured me that not
only was such liability insurance not required but that none was even
sold. Travel trailer insurance is like homeowner's insurance - if
someone's kid gets hurt climbing on your trailer you are covered. If your
trailer catches fire and damages RVs near it, or damages the RV park, you
are covered. If you have full coverage your trailer and its contents are
covered (all to the policy limits). But there is no vehicular liability
insurance required or available for a non-powered towed vehicle.

When we got the application for title and registration I saw that there
is no place on the form to list insurance for a non-powered trailer.
Al