Re: [VAL] Floor Coverings - Tile

My '77 originally had "Harvest" Gold carpet.

I put down the 12" Armstrong Imperial Texture solid vinyl tile (glue down,
not "self-stick"). It costs 57 cents per square foot at Home Depot or
Lowes. I used the "Lemon Yellow" color, which was a close match to the
original carpet color.

We have area rugs in the living room and bedroom.

Pros: Very easy to keep clean. We carry a "Wet Swiffer" and use that to
"mop" the floor whenever it gets dirty. Also, very nice not to have carpet
in the kitchen and bath areas, Area rugs can be taken outside and shaken to
keep clean.

Cons: Tile is slippery when walking in socks. Rugs need the rubber mats
underneath them to keep them in place. Floor is not as warm as a carpeted
floor.

Installation wasn't really hard, but you have a LOT of custom cuts. Work in
small areas and dry fit them before installing with glue. I used black 3"
commercial rubber kick plate strips underneath cabinets/furniture and 1"
rubber strips in open areas for trim.

More info on the tile can be found here:
http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details.jsp?item_id=381

E-mail off list if you have any other questions....

Dave