RE: [VAL] veneers and hardwood plywood

I've done both veneer and total plywood replacement.  In the end I don't
think there is an appreciable difference in the cost depending on the
species of wood.  The big advantage of veneering is that you don't have to
disassemble the cabinets.  Saves a lot of time and trouble.  The down side
like others have pointed out is the issue of gluing the veneer.  I got my
veneer from rockler (www.rockler.com).  I've had very good luck with the
company.  They also make custom doors which I found were very precise sized
and well put together.  They sell and recommend a book by Herrick Kinball,
refacing cabinets.  It is a little dated, but very informative on how to
effectively veneer.  In his book he does not recommend veneering large
panels because of the gluing problems.  I used the paper backed pressure
type of veneer which worked well.  Another tip I picked up is to use a
wooden or hard plastic smoothing stick vice a j roller.  It presses better
on the wood for a good bond.

I totally rebuilt the interior of my '68 with new plywood.  I did have to
remove all the cabinets, but that was a blessing in disguise in the end.  I
found some damage behind some places I could't see and was also able to
customize the trailer setup.  Replacing the heater with a modern smaller
unit and combining the stove and cooktop game me a lot of extra room in the
kitchen.  Obviously, keeping the trailer original wasn't an issue for me.
It took a while to complete, but I am very pleased with the outcome.

I guess my $.02 would be to use veneer if you want to keep the trailer
intact and replace the doors.  I would also recommend that you consider
using 1/8" plywood over any large panels vice thin veneer to prevent
buckling and separation.  Be ready for a big job if you rebuild, but it does
give you some flexibility.  By the way, if you rebuild you will need some
good tools - always a good thing!
Good luck
Pete