Re: [VAL] WBCCI Survey

This is a topic that has come up repeatedly in the existance of the two a/s lists.
Unfortunately, it seems to be the most polarizing issue presented on them - each time the
discussion has degenerated quickly into personal attacks, moderators kicking members off lists,
etc.  Clearly this is a serious problem, and members have a lot of emotion tied up in it, but
it would seem little progress has been made in solving it.  Is there not some way we can
have a more civilized - and more effective - discussion?

Permit me to apply my professional skills with some timely observations.  Wife and I have been
WBCCI members for about five years now, but only this past weekend did we "attend" our first
WBCCI rally, quite unintentionally.  For the past month we have been parked in a quiet and
pleasant little campground, visiting my declining 95 year old mother each day.  But this
weekend a local unit rally moved from its intended site to this campground when the original
site was flooded out.  Suddenly we were in the middle of the rally.

What happened?  Well, despite our rather obvious classic coach and Airstream-labelled clothing,
only one attendee ever spoke to us - in the laundry room, and in response to our asking where
they were from.  In all fairness, the gentleman did tell us to drop in anytime,  but it was a
pro forma invitation - we did not feel welcome.  The attendees seemed unaware of anyone else -
they did not pick up their dogs' feces, they were loud, they stayed up late, they repeatedly
left all the lights on, etc.  They closeted themselves in the group room, where their only
activities seemed to have been eating high-calorie meals and playing parlor games.  They used
their Sunday morning to leave early (and loudly again).

Is the WBBCI a place where Airstream enthusiasts  gather together and meet -- or is simply
small exclusive, private groups who get together who just happen to own Airstreams.

Is this the way to attract new members or revitalize the organization?  On this list I will
have to permit your to draw your own conclusions.  However, the answers are important to me, so
can I suggest that those who are interested engage in an off-list correspondance?

                    -- Lew #4239

'72 Safari
Custom Craft Megatow