Re: [VAL] 12 Volt Electrical Problem

    All,

    I've been following this thread with a bit of interest.  I've also
talked back channel and on the phone with Jim Greene about our common woes.

    All the interior 12v lighting on my 1969 Caravel works but none of the
exterior lights do.

    Here's what I've done so far:

    1.  Checked the seven wires at the plug that goes to the automobile, all
good.
    2.  Checked the continuity between the plug and the wires inside the
inspection plate under the street side corner.  The ground is good and so
are the connections between there and the plug.
    3.  I checked to see that all the fuses in the Univolt were not blown
and installed with good conductivity, they are all fine.  The Univolt
appears to be working as it seems to be keeping the battery up and when I
progressively turn on more lights inside, I can hear the Univolt respond
with a slight increased hum as more lights go on inside.

    I do not have a control panel in my Caravel as Jim says his 1968 and
1971 do, so can't check for a main fuse.

    Can anyone offer thoughts as to check for next?  If it were just one or
two lights, I might be able to understand but that all the outside lights
don't work has me stumped.  When I say all, that's just what I mean.  The
running and side lights don't work.  As well, all the rear lights don't
work.  That's the stop, tail, turning and license lights.

    It occurs to me as I write this that I haven't checked the most obvious,
the bulbs.  I'll check each and every one and the sockets they're in
tomorrow morning.  The push button socket with light inside the rear
battery/Univolt door does work.

    Do other 1969 Airstream Caravel owners have the elusive control panel in
the overhead above the front window?

    By the way, my very neat burner grate springs arrived a few days ago.  I
bent them to the proper shape at the hook ends and installed six of them on
the burners.  They work just great and that's just one more item I can
scratch off my To Do list.

    I will soon begin the replacement of all the curtain hardware that a
previous owner removed and threw away.  I was the guy who bought those neat
aluminum curtain tracks on eBay the other day.  They were offered as being
from a 1969 Airstream and I figured that I might be able to put them to good
use soon.

    Later,

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel