[VAL] RE: Two Questions

We own a '77 29 foot center bathroom International. I have two questions for
the members of the list. I've lurked on the list for a long time and
appreciate the expertise and experience of the listees.
1. I am considering putting in a cork floor but I live in Minnesota and
worry that the extremes in humidity might cause difficulty with buckling of
the cork tiles. The salesperson at Dodge-Regupol, though and Airstream owner
herself, could not be sure I wouldn't have a problem. Do any of the people
who've put in a cork floor have experience with extremes in humidity
comparable to MN? What season of the year was the installation done? Do you
see significant expansion/contraction with humidity cycles?
2. I recently purchased a new truck (Ram with Hemi) and the hitch receiver
is 3" higher than my old truck. I will have to have a custom drop bar made
to accommodate my Reese hitch. I also have a problem dragging the rear of
the trailer when I park it at home because of the sharp rise of the
driveway/parking area. This has also been a problem in some places where
there is a deep gutter at the exit of a filling station. I tend also to use
remote campgrounds that don't have easy terrain. I thought that another
solution to the problem would be to put a 3" spacer between the axels and
frame with a bolt welded in for the shocks. This would give me 3" more
ground clearance and probably not affect towing stability.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ernie Swihart
Minnetonka MN