[VAL] Re: Front couch or "Gaucho"

Hi Stuart - I thought I'd add my thoughts to this-

I am extremely sensitive to the concepts of "stock and original" versus
"updated and/or customized" - especially when considering the vintage
car market. I've been in and around it for 30 years.

I might suggest that when it comes to trailers - I think that the market is
not
quite so sensitive - at least not yet - or at least not in all market areas.

If one lives in a sparsely populated area - and a trailer is for sale - the
chances
are that there won't be a large number of interested buyers.

If one lives in a heavily populated area - and a trailer is for sale - the
chances
are that there will be a number of potentially interested buyers.

If a trailer is no longer stock - say the front couch has been removed etc -
it may
make it harder to sell (potentially lower the value) if it's a "buyer's
market" (say - in
a small population area).

But I might suggest that if a trailer is offered for sale in a heavily
populated area -
that if some people aren't interested in a "modified/non-stock
trailer"....there will be others
that are looking for a modified/non-stock trailer.

It all depends on what a potential owner is looking for.

If they are looking for their first trailer - and don't have any reference
to what they want -
they may shop from photos and magazines and visiting vintage RV shows etc. -
and it's
very possible that they'll have "retro" on their minds and they'll have
"original" on their
minds.

If they are looking for a second or third trailer - it's very possible they
will have a list of
criteria - "wants" and don't wants" etc.  I have an idea that the folks in
this catagory - who
are looking to actively use a trailer - might not be put off by a missing
front gaucho - as they
might be wanting to build something with more thought put into it - and if
it's a larger trailer
with a separate bed area - they may be looking to do away with the gaucho
all together and
put in a dinette or at the very least a flexible open area that allows for
chairs and a portable
table - etc.

I guess why I'm sharing my thoughts is in case a new or potential owner
checks in on this
thread - so they don't automatically assume that they "have" to stay
original to always keep
the value up. It's a tricky zone - but one where I think it's important to
consider what one
wants while one is owning and using a trailer - versus - trying to figure
out what will work for
them while "maintaining"  the value for a possible future buyer.

It's a guarantee that no two owners think alike...and it's pretty much a
guarantee that a buyer
will most often look for something to use as a "discount item" when thinking
about making an
offer on a trailer.  Trailers almost always need some type of service - and
most new owners
often look forward to personalizing their new trailer - so don't spend all
your time and money
trying to figure out what a "potential" buyer "might" (or might not) want.

It's sort of like having a great vintage car with nice but less than perfect
paint.  Some people
might suggest that you paint it before you put it on the market - but there
is no guarantee that
you will get the full value/cost of the new paint job back when you find a
buyer...and in fact the
new buyer might want to change the color anyway...and they might try to
discount their
offer...even if it has a new paint job.  Sometimes it is less expensive to
offer something for
sale and plan to discount the price at some point to allow for it's
eccentricities and let the
new buyer enjoy "getting a discount" and at the same time you end up with an
easier sale
and end up possibly getting a better "net" price for the vehicle.

It's all about the quirks of the market - depending on regional interest -
demand - availability
etc...etc - rather than assuming that one guideline will fit all situations.

Bottom line - if you like original - it's great - go for it.  If you want
custom - it's great - go
for it.  No matter how hard you try to second guess the market - it will try
to find a way
around you!

I have a 1936 that I plan to redo totally original (visually) and totally
up-to-date under the
skin mechanically.

I am shopping for a 50's Airstream that (at least this week) I hope to gut
and re-do exactly
the way I like.

Best Wishes.  RL