[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #132 - RV vs. Mobile Home Park Wiring

This is contrary to the info. in the electrical wiring book. He is
requiring the mobile home park to be wired like it was an RV park.
Perhaps his experience has shown him that his way is superior, or perhaps
he learned from an older book?
There has been a lot of controversy over grounding over the years, with
different methods tried, as you referred to a few posts back.
The danger we face in RV parks is in part due to incompetent wiring being
done, spotty code enforcement even if there is any, amateurs modifying
wiring after the electrician and inspector have left, etc.
Then there is wiring done to ancient standards, damage, wear,
deterioration, and so on.

The "electrician" we used to use on rental houses turned out to be an
unlicensed jackleg who had been getting permits for years on his
invalided brother's license. I found this out when I called him to do an
installation job and he said he couldn't do anything that required a
permit anymore as his brother, who had had the license, had died. His
brother was grandfathered from continuing education required of newer
licensees because he had had a license from wa-a-a-y back.

I've seen and heard of the electrical "inspections" by the city code
dept. Just drive up and exchange "howdies," then sign off and drive away.
The inspector didn't even get out of his car.
The plumbing inspector weighed over 400 lbs. I can guarantee you he never
went under a house to look at anything.

I had to go out and fix the things the licensed electricians and plumbers
did wrong for years. Reverse polarity, the usual. Since I was not
experienced I had to go look at the book.
Al