Re: [VAL] power/FUTURE/pacers

Gary:

   Here's my pneumonic, non-technical way of remembering
what a converter and inverter do based on the first letter
of their name:

C = "contract", which reduces 120 volts a.c. to 12 volts
d.c.
I = "increase"", which increases 12 volts d.c. to 120 volts
a.c.

There are other parts and processes involved, but this is my
technically incorrect "big picture" memory jogger.

The battery in your '62 trailer likely charged by the tow
vehicle alternator.  Univolts (transformers) were introduced
in 1964, and that first year they only reduced 120 volts
a.c. to 18 volts a.c.  to run lghts and  the fan.  There was
no battery charging feature in 1964 Univolts; that was added
in 1965.

If you camp mostly in campgrounds with 120 volts a.c.
availabe, a converter with a3 stage battery charger will be
very useful.  If you boon dock where no 120 volts a.c. is
availab,e, an inverter would be useful.  A good book that
explains all this in detail is "Managing Twelve Volts"  by
Harold Barre, available at Camping World and other places.
I had to read the book a few times before all this sunk it,
as it is a bit technical but ultimately understandable.

Invest some time to buy and read this book.  It will prove
very useful during the balance of your trailering years.

Fred Coldwell