Re: [VAL] tire skids

Tire skids were an aftermarket add-on, sold by trailer dealers and not a
factory option.

Aftermarket add on such as tire skids are, as any consumer from fishermen to
ametuer photographers knows, are the province of armchair engineers. It
sounds good to as many as it sounds silly.

In my tragic instance they truly saved me from a roll over. Tire wheel and
all came off on a curve at 40mph, due to lug bolt failure. Even from that
scenario, to get under way again all it took was to press in new lug bolts
into the brake drum ( correct rating this time as the PO had put in some
under rated bolts!) No damage to brake assembly occured. They never hit the
ground. The drag of about 25 yards was easy to control, despite my shock,
surprise and abject horror. But as a Sideshow performer I am pretty good at
keeping a cool head--

Would I buy them now, even after all that? That depends-- as who sells them
anyway? I doubt they're illegal. They probably just didn't sell well enough
to continue to be manufactured  as I sure haven't seen them new anywhere. Who
Knows? Do they void anybody's warrenty?? That's your decision maker as far as
I can see--

I have a cheesy advertising circular circa 1966 for them around here
somewhere, which was in my papers that came with my rig. I was very lucky to
get so many documents.  I'll scan and email it to anyone who asks, but ask
soon as the weather in the midwest is holding until Sunday.  I am hitting the
road Friday night for Port O' Call's last winter.  I am guessing that sending
the list an attachment is poor ettiquet, so ask and I'll send-

Performing at Florida Keys Renaissance Fair on Sugarloaf Key Jan 9-11
and Lake County Kiwanis Medieval Faire in Lakes Parks Fort Myers Jan 17, 18,
24, 25
Stop in and say Hi

Alex In Indiana (aka Otto The Sword Swallower)
66 Safari & Overlander
WBCCI 8728