Re: [VAL] tire skids

I can vouch for them as they kept my coach upright when the lug bolts sheared
off the brake drum, and wheel and tire all came off at 40mph on a two lane
curve in southern Ohio a year ago last May. A Previous Owner had put on
several lug bolts which were woefully underrated. Somehow I was naive enough
to trust that my lug bolts were okay- go figure...

I put up a detailed description of the accident and what happened during the
action of the skid and how it truly saved my rig. While other speculate I
have had the experience. For single axle rigs with high center of gravity (id
est taller than a pop up), they are an unconventional, but not such a crazy
idea. The discussion should be in the list archives somewhere. The only draw
back to them is everyone at filling stations stop me and try to tell me I
have "a broken leaf spring."

Write back off list, anyone, if you can't find needed details. My coach: 1966
Safari Double.

Alex In Indiana (soon to be Port O' Call)
66 Safari & Overlander
WBCCI #8728