Re: [VAL] Diesel Help!

Put some Stanadyne or John Deere fuel conditioner in the fuel tank.  If this
were me I'd add about a pint, 16 ounces, as it will not hurt the system at
all.  IF you have water in your fuel the fuel conditioner will help.

Drain the fuel filter again just in case you got water in the tank from the
last fuel stop.  I'd would then remove and replace, again, the fuel filter.
Make absolutely sure the fuel filter is seated correctly but do NOT over
tighten the filter.

If the truck will 'idle' but not 'run' down the road I would think you have
fuel starvation OR the fuel pump is "sucking air" and cause about the same
condition - idles but produces no real power.

The absolute best product to use in your fuel tank IS Stanadyne (blue label
preferred) or John Deere fuel conditioner; because Stanadyne makes it for
John Deere.

One other thing - when was the last time the air filter was changed?  Your
engine "could" be getting fuel but the incorrect amount of air to mix with
the fuel.  If you haven't changed the air filter since you've owned the
truck OR it has been awhile since this was done I'd replace that also.

This does not sound like any major condition - it sounds like either fuel
starvation, water in the fuel tank and / or fuel tank, or it could be a
plugged up air filter.

You may also want to put as much fuel as possible into the new fuel filter
BEFORE installing it.  Some engines of the past needed a 'loaded' fuel
filter as some diesel engines were not "self priming".  I have the
International 7.3L Powerstroke in my tow vehicle and it IS self priming - it
will suck fuel into a new fuel filter.  Some of the Detroit diesels did not.

Tom
WBCCI 5303