[VAL] shopping for a spare tire/wheel

It's that time of year when we think about service and new projects and
new/old trailers.

I thought I'd mention this for anyone who might be in the market to obtain a
new spare tire/wheel for their trailer.

We read a great deal about tire brands and tire clearance (in the wheel
well) on Airstreams.

Here's what happened when I went to purchase a spare tire for my new tandem
axle aluminum car hauling trailer some years ago.

It came with nice chrome rims and radials - but no spare - so I took it to a
local tire shop and asked for a new tire and wheel for the trailer.  I got a
new radial tire and a nice wheel.

****Note**** I never thought to "try" the spare as the tire size was correct
and the trailer had ample room under the fenders (and the fenders are
removeable) and the tire shop apparently did not think about it either...

A few years later I had my first flat - I was at my shop and the trailer was
not loaded.  I changed the flat and put on the new and unused spare and took
off on a trip.  The road in front of my shop is very agressive/rough
asphalt.  I'd not gotten much more than a block from my shop when I checked
my mirrors and noticed that one of the tires was smoking....

The wheel offset of the new spare was incorrect for my trailer....so the new
tire was rubbing against the smooth inner fender...and it had locked up due
to the friction on the sidewall against the inner fender...and the tire
tread was ground off to the cords due to the rough asphalt....flat spotted
and smoking.  If I'd had a load on the trailer I probably would not have
made it even a block from my shop as the tire would have spread out a little
more from the load and locked up against the inner fender even faster or at
least I might have noticed the drag.

The wheel offset was incorrect - but not so much that the tire did not go
on...in fact it had gone on flush against the drum (just...) or obviously
I'd have noticed the problem...so I did not notice the problem when I
changed the tire.

Moral:  check everything...!

Safe Travels.  RL