Re: [VAL] Bike Racks

Hi gang,

We have taken our bikes along on many trips over the  years.  First putting
them in the Airsteam, then in the suburban however this year before our trip
to the east coast I refitted our bumper bike rack to place the bikes well
above the  propane bottles and leaning somewhat ahead toward the suburban.
We traveled 7500 miles with no problems.  However the bikes rubbing together
did amazing damage to the aluminum frames...nearly rubbing them completely
through in several spots.  They also rusted due to all the rain we
encountered along the way.  I'm now thinking along the lines of a roof rack.

I wouldn't mount them to the airstream.  Hauling bikes inside the trailer
wasn't good, they inevitably scratched things up.  Moving them in and out
was a royal pain especially when you have a child that must get to the
bathroom fast!

After all though it was wonderful to bike all the trails on Cape Cod and
various places in Canada and the states.

Happy trails, GAS