[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #92

Good morning all! We are the process of putting down new flooring in our 68
Safari. After taking up the awful vinyl sheet flooring that quaintly curled at
every edge, we discovered a few areas along the front and curb side where the
wood underlayment was rotted.

Our initial thought was that the water tank which sits under the front couch
must have a slow leak. We removed it and tested it over several days and that
is not our problem (thankfully!).

We assumed the problem at curbside was due to a bad seal on the door,
although the problem was under the window adjacent to the door, rather than directly
at the door. We've seen this same water problem near the door in many others
we've looked at, so it must be a fairly common problem.

We cut out, replaced and waterproofed these areas of the plywood
underlayment, and much to our pleasure, the musty smell we had attributed to the camper
being 30+ years old and mostly original, appears to be gone!

However, we still have the problem of the leak. Since the leaking appears to
be isolated to the front and curb side (and our other conclusions thus far
have failed us), we are now inclined to conclude that the exterior "molding"
piece that covers that seam at about floor level must be allowing in water (it
must not be sealed.)

Just wondering if anyone out there has faced similar issues and if any
attempts to resolve have been successful. We store our camper outdoors (protected by
trees, but still exposed)

Many thanks, and Happy Holidays!!

Molly Kelley
'68 Safari