[VAL] Airstream features

Hi Jim,

12/02/03: My direct answer to your question "Is there a compiled source that
describes the variations? " --- is --- resoundingly >> NO, THERE IS NOT.
What is available (sometimes) are the yearly specification sheets and
advertising brochures. They are legitimate sources of information even
though variations still occur because of manufacturing location. A more
modern source is the VAC website where I believe there's a link to pictures
of almost every year and model Airstream. That's a good starter site.

Having said that, I think the question then becomes -- how does one gather
data on variations? In my case, the answer was and still is -- even today --
persistence and attention to detail.  What do I mean? First, a little
personal background.

When I was a teenager, one of the things boys in our neighborhood did - was
listen to Red Sox baseball games on the radio and write down (in code) what
each player did in real time while the broadcast was occurring. We had
special baseball graph paper (pads of it) designed for that exact purpose.
Our code writing skills were lightning fast and super accurate (we were sure
of that). <grin>

After the ball game was over, we'd review and discuss (loudly) each inning
as we re-visualized what all the players did in exact detail. Then we'd
argue "what if" scenerios for each inning. This heated banter would go on
for hours after the game had finished and the radio turned off. After all,
we had exact details of every play by each player - right in front of us.

Never once did I suspect that my skill for on-the-spot tabulation of
detailed information would translate into a useful tool throughout the
course of my adult life. It is still fun and highly satisfying to me when I
gather chunks of data and watch as patterns and relationships reveal
themselves.

This skill is a natural for tabulating Airstream data. I often do it with a
3x5 memo pad and ballpoint pen (or PDA).  Years ago, I learned if I could
get 30 observations of whatever I was investigating, I'd likely have
sufficient initial data to determine the next strategy (new hypothesis) in
my search for answers. Each dead end was useful because it ruled out a
possibility. That in itself narrowed the field of search for answers to
questions - a definite plus when doing detective work.

Any of us on the Vintage list can easily find 30 different Airstreams to
observe. Tabulating data can be a cake walk when we have money to burn and a
desire to buy. I believe this process is routine homework for anyone who
routinely reflects on their options before buying.

Wednesday 12/03/03: Here's another example. Most of the boys in our
neighborhood could identify the make and model of every car on the road
after merely a glance. Today, I know Airstream owners who can identify the
floor plan of any Airstream by looking at where the windows are located.
Many can identify the year by the number of panels on the end caps or the
shape of the windows (corners rounded or not) or other features evident to
anyone who takes the time to observe details.

After writing the above, I've revised my answer to your question  "Is there
a compiled source that describes the variations?"  My revised answer is a
resounding YES, IT CAN BE FOUND IN OUR OWN HEADS - if we have persistence
and enthusiasm for noticing specific features and keeping track of those
data.  Teenage boys who love baseball can compile far more data than this
task requires and we can, too.

How long will it take? I'm sure that within a few months I could find 30
different Airstreams to inspect for specific features.  Within a few days
after that, my memo pad data would be reorganized onto a sheet of graph
paper and I'd have an initial pattern of answers to my search questions.

Jim, you already know hundreds of details about variations among Airstreams.
I've written about only a few of them. Dollars to donuts you've been
compiling the variations in your head and if you're like most Airstream
addicts, you'll continue doing it as long as you own an Airstream.

Hope this helps even though it's just an opinion and a biased one at that,

Terry