[VAL] Buying Diesel Sub

REF:  Thinking of purchasing a Used 1996 Suburban K2500 6.5l Turbo Diesel.  I
do my own repairs to gas vehicles that I own but this would be my first
diesel.  Does anyone know of anything I should be watching out for?   Chris

Chris, I purchased a 1994 6.5 Sub 2500 about a year ago.  I t is a super tow
vehicle, we have number of 7-10 day trips this year.  Having said that, mine
had some bugs and as many on this list have said:  diesel repairs are not
cheap.  I have replaced two heater cores (unusal, but it happened and first
one was on trip several states away), two radiators (second one under
warranty), a fuel injector pump (expensive), alternator, and the heater
hose/pipe (a pipe with gaskets), and right now the speedometer is erratic.
The dealer says the speedo has a bad cluster that about $250 will fix. On the
plus side, it was reasonably priced and even with the repairs, we have a nice
comfortable tow vehicle and don't have a fortune invested.  We also have an 82
Sub 6.2, which has served us well, but is under powered (2.54 rear end) and is
currently rusting away, but now is a very handy farm utility vehicle.  I am
not writing this to discourage you, I still like my diesel.  As several have
suggested, join one of the diesel groups to receive their newsletter and
service tips.  If you are doing your own gas engine repairs, their materials
will be of great value to you.  Ned Digh