RE: [VAL] Re: Converting to grey/black waste system.

Stuart,

I just removed the BW tank from my 67 TW.  I have considered adding a GW
tank, but have made no decision yet.  Here's the removal process in case
you have not started.  I started all of this because the back support
angle iron bracket was badly rusted.

1 Remove belly skin far enough to work on front support rail.  I removed
it all.
2 Remove support rails, and keep tank supported from below.  I had to
twist off three bolts and chisel off the fourth because of rust.
3 Unscrew clamp that holds water drain to Thetford valve.  I had to cut
rubber part of clamp so it would slip off.
4 Saw through vent pipe at a spot where you can clamp it back together.
5 Remove toilet and metal flange.
6 Remove plastic flange that won't fit down through the hole in floor
unless the floor is rotted out.  This was a trick because I couldn't get
the flange off.  I broke off a jig saw blade so that the maximum stroke
was one inch and wouldn't hit the top of the tank as I sawed around the
flange.  I plan to make an aluminum flange that will fit above the floor
and under the plastic tank flange.  The toilet mounting flange (can't
have too many flanges) will then screw to this new aluminum plate.

I've had new rails made for $25 and a new metal box for $75.  I will
paint these and the trailer frame with POR15 before installing.  I will
also have to make a decision about a GW tank, which I think could fit
between frame members above the axils. Plumbing it may be a problem.

Let me know what you decide.

Best Regards,
   Jim

   jcchome@frii.com