Re: [VAL] Floor repair

I think it's important to understand the way
Airstreams are put together - I mean the order in
which they are put together.

As I understand it - the belly pan is put on the shell
first, which explains why it would be wrapped around
the C channel.  then the upper shell is put on.

so, if you were to follow "the rules" (if there are
any) for a shell-off floor replacement, you'd:

1) remove the interior (cabinets etc.)
2) remove at least the lower interior wall panels
3) brace the upper shell against shape distortion
4) drill out the lower exterior rivets
5) detach the bolts holding the upper frame to the
floor
6) lift the upper shell
7) detach the belly pan
8) remove the flooring
9) restore the flooring and the frame
10) ...and reinstall everything in the reverse order.

In auto restoration books they often encourage that a
restorer repairs/restores everything as it's coming
out of the vehicle - fix it and put it in a bag - so
that when you finally get everything apart, it's
already all fixed up - and you just have to
reassemble.

the only problem I've found with this theory is that
if you're an impatient type, it's slow going at the
beginning and makes it a little harder to keep the
"energy" up.

okay -

Toby