[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #35 - Weighing In

There are many open, unattended weigh stations in Oregon. It appears to
be the policy of ORDOT to leave them open and turned on all the time.
There is one on ORHwy 99W between Newberg and McMinnville.
There is another southeast of Newberg near I-5.
I have used these a number of times. Only once has there been anyone else
using the scale.
They measure in 50 pound increments.

Get:
1)   Tow vehicle front axle, unhitched
2)   Tow vehicle rear axle, unhitched
3)   Tow vehicle total weight, unhitched
4)   Trailer hitch (tongue) weight, unhitched
5)   Trailer weight on wheels, unhitched
6)   Trailer total weight
7)   Tow vehicle front axle, hitched
8)   Tow vehicle rear axle, hitched
9)   Tow vehicle total weight, hitched
10) Trailer weight on wheels, hitched
11) Total combination weight
12) Tow vehicle front axle, weight distributing hitch hooked up
13) Tow vehicle rear axle, WD hitch hooked up
14) Tow vehicle total weight, WD hitch hooked up
15) Trailer weight on wheels, WD hitch hooked up

Looks daunting but it really doesn't take long. Much nicer than measuring
weights with bathroom scale and board.

The WD links should be hooked up so that the tow vehicle rides level, the
rear pressed down slightly more than the front (a little more load added
to the rear axle than to the front wheels for best traction - better
understeer than oversteer especially when towing).

Al Grayson