Al

From: www.accidentreconstruction.com/disc3/_disc1/0000012b.htm

Travel Trailer Control Loss
From: Eric Brewer  crash_guy_99@yahoo.com
Date: 10/26/00
Time: 1:03:50 AM
Remote Name: 204.244.93.214

Comments
I am a collision reconstructionist for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
in Kamloops British Columbia Canada. The area I look after is mountainous
and we have an extensive tourist population. During the past year we have
experienced a number of fatal and injury collisions involving SUV type
vehicles pulling ball and hitch type travel trailers. One of the common
threads in the crashes has been the brake settings on the towing vehicle
brake box. In all the cases the gain was set very low. As well the tire
pressures and the hitch weights were out of line. What has been happening
is the vehicles are descending grades in some cases and braking. We
suspect the trailer is under braked and is pushing the rear of the towing
vehicle around. The other suspect piece of the puzzle is hitch loads. We
suspect there may have been negative loads due to loading. My question to
you all is, has there been a proliferation of these types of crashes in
any other areas? I would appreciate any information as we are going to
put together an information package for distribution regarding these
issues and others. Reply either to this posting or to my e-mail address.

Thanks in advance Eric Brewer R.C.M. Police Kamloops, B.C. Canada V2C5Y5
250-828-3139 Eric Brewer