[VAL] What is tube for?

My 67 tradewind has a plastic tube coming out the top of the battery
compartment door frame and hanging in the compartment. There is a small
vent opening on the outside skin above the door that the tube connects
to. So I have a length of tube opening to the outside and hanging in the
inside.

My only guess is that this used to be some kind of off-gassing vent for
the battery. What the heck is this tube for? Does it have any modern
value? Do any of you with 66 - 68 Airstreams have such a thing?

Best Regards,
   Jim

   jcchome@frii.com