Re: [VAL] Towing vehicle request

Dave,
I currently tow with an 02 Excursion Diesel that I need for towing a car
trailer with various show cars for total weights of over 10,000.  It does a very
good job and is very stable, but only gets 9-10 mpg with the heavy load.  My
last tow vehicle was an 01 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton that actually did a very good
job towing and gave better than expected gas mileage.  I did a trip to
Yellowstone from GA and got 11-12 mpg towing my 31' Excella.  The Suburban always had
plenty of power and the tow/haul trans setting eliminated downshifting except
on downhill grades to keep speed down.  Around town I got 20-22 mpg without
towing, which is better than many smaller vehicles can do.  I always found the
size nice because so much could be carried inside and out of weather, but it
did not seem to big to park (which is more of a factor w/ the Excursion).  I
know many think the Suburban is just too big, but if you want a very comfortable
ride, good fuel economy(for a large vehicle) and a very stable vehicle with
wheelbase and weight for towing; give it a look.

John - '77 Excella 500
Atlanta