Re: [VAL] Locking Trailer

I find this an interesting question - I tend to
believe that if you make it known somehow that there's
something worth stealing (i.e. an alarm that doesn't
appear factory) that someone will try to steal it.

a related side story - when I was searching for my
first Airstream I went to a dealership to ask if they
knew where to find them (pre VAC of course) and he
told me about an Airstream park here in Minnesota that
had for sale classifieds posted at the guard-gate.  I
dropped in and there was nobody in the office to check
in with, and although it said "private property" it
didn't say "trespassers will be shot" so I proceeded
in to see if there were any for sale signs up...(and
to generally look around at all the various trailers.)

a guy on a 4-wheeler chased me down - stopped me and
asked me what I was doing there.  I politiely
apologized and excused myself.

My parents got a visit a few days later from the
county sheriff (an hour away) and the sheriff asked
them why I would be driving around an Airstream park.

luckily, my parents understood (well enough anyway) my
addiction to Airstreams - otherwise I may have gotten
myself in trouble for just looking!

I don't think this story applies to regular campsites,
but in any event - I think that if you can leave a
tent unattended, you can leave a trailer that's locked
down unattended for short periods of time relatively
safely.

-not keeping to a schedule is good advice
-buying insurance is good advice

it would be nice if there was a good way to get a
restored trailer appraised at a decent value - how do
the hot rodders do it?

Toby