Re: [VACList] Seeing Tailgaters Behind a Vintage Airstream

Hi Kevin:

I bought several pieces of Lexan over the years from a place called TAP
Plastics here in CA.  I noticed somewhere along the way that it also seemed
to be available at some Home Depots.  Lexan is a tradename for
polycarbonate.  I used 1/8" for my window applications.  The stuff comes
clear, smoked, white translucent, in colors, you name it.  In various
thicknesses too.  Try a big box store for sheet polycarbonate and see what
happens.

TAP has gotten a little pricy lately.  It was $5.50/sq ft a couple of years
ago.  Lately it has gotten up to around $7 or so as I recall.  A big box
should be cheaper I would think.

As to the "bullet proofness" of it.  It is pretty tough but I managed to
shatter some while trying to cut it with my table saw.  Fine tooth blades
work much better (too lazy to change the blade).  Saber saw with a hack saw
blade etc.  But it's easiest just to get it cut to size when you buy it.

Also be advised that Windex will cloud it up.  I clean mine (now!) with some
stuff specially made for plastics.  Soap and water doesn't seem to hurt it.

Finally, it is not glass.  Sooner or later it gets less transparent,
especially if subjected to the sun a lot.  It's a slow process but it's
apparent.  Mine on the trailer have been on the side for about 5 years now
and it is getting quite noticeable when compared to the glass ones.  But in
my situation I am more interested in the light than being able to see
anything clearly through them.  If and when it gets bad enough I will
replace them with new material.  At a relatively low cost too.

GQ '67 Safari
#4082 in CA