[VACList] Olympic Rivets and Water Leaks

Hello All,
I have used Olympic shaveable rivets on my 68 and 59 extensively over
the past year to make repairs. With the 59 having the interior panels
out I am able to observe any water leaks that I might have and thought I
would share my observations with the group.

I have installed these rivets with a drop of Vulkem in the hole and
found that they still leak. As far as I can tell the leak is not from
around the head but through the shaft that is shaved down. I have
applied a number of rivets using different amounts of Vulkem, no Vulkem
and other sealants only to find the same problem, they leak through the
center. The only way I have found to stop this is to apply a drop of
Vulkem to the head of the rivet after shaving, not a look that I would
want.

The other way I have found to stop these things from leaking is to go
inside a completely cover the interior rivet with Vulkem, easy to do on
the 59 but not on the 68 with its interior intact.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or am I not applying the
rivets properly? I should also say that I have tried the Olympic Rivets
with the seal on the head but those are even worse (I have peeled those
off just to use the rivet), I believe Dick Parins posted his experience
with this as well some time back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Ed