Re: [VACList] Argosae

Greetings Matt!

The history and quirks of the Argosy Minuet can be quite interesting.  So
far as I have been able to determine, the Minuet was first introduced in
1977 - - whether it was a 1977 model or an early 1978 is not totally clear
as some Minuets have turned up with 1977 titles while the literature didn't
begin listing them until 1978.  It appears that the line ended in 1979 as I
have seen none reported with paperwork substantiating anything beyond the
1979 model year.

A factor that is less well known about the Minuet, at least it was to me
until I purchased mine last year, is that there are actually three lengths
in the series.  The shortest, and seemingly most common is the 6.0 Metre (20
foot) single axle model that was available with twin lounges or a front
dinette.  My Minuet is a 1978 twin lounge model, and can be seen at:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&si=overlander64&thumb=1&page=2&sort=1&perpage=12&ppuser=827&stype=2

The middle-sized Minuet is the 6.7 Metre (22 foot) single axle model.  This
model can be distinguished from the 6.0 Metre model by the existence of an
extra operable window between the entrance door on the front wing window on
the curbside.  This model also offered the choice between twin lounges or a
dinette floorplan.  You can see an example of this model at:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&si=Chas&thumb=1&page=2&sort=1&perpage=12&ppuser=1028&stype=2

The larges, and seemingly rarest of the Minuets is the 7.3 Metre (24 foot)
tandem axle model.  This model has floorplans very similar to the TradeWind
series with either a center twin or a center double arrangment with either a
front lounge or a front dinette.  There have been a number of these Minuets
discovered recently so it may have been more popular than was readily
apparent as little as six months ago.  An example of the 7.3 Metre model can
be seen at:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showgallery.php?thumb=1&stype=2&si=minuet24&cat=500&perpage=12&sort=1&ppuser=1208

A second example can also be seen at:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showgallery.php?thumb=1&stype=2&si=Tracy%20Lawrence&cat=500&perpage=12&sort=1&ppuser=2293

One of the interesting features of  at least some of the 6.0 Metre Minuets
is the flooring material used for the coach - - unlike its Airstream and
most of its Argosy stablemates, it is an aluminum composite that is riveted
to the undercarriage.  There are at least two of the 6.0 Metre models know
to have this construction, mine being one of them.  I am certain that this
is a factory feature as mine was a one owner special ordered coach that I
purchased from the original owner who had never had any major repairs
performed on the coach.

These coaches are narrower than the standard line, and in most cases as
light or lighter than similar sized Airstreams of the 1960s.  I have the
original factory literatures for 1975, 1977, and 1979 so if there is a
particular question that I might be able to answer; let me know.  The 1979
literature is the only one of the three to feature a section on the Minuet.

There is a fairly active Argosy group at Airstreamforums.com; many of whom
are Minuet owners.  Most have 6.0 Metres with about six 6.7 Metres, and
possibly three 7.3 Metres.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Edlorado (Towcar-In-Training)