Re: [VACList] A new flooring solution?

Jim and Daisy,

Recently I purchased some interlocking foam mats as described below from a
Lowe's store nearby.  There was a whole stack of these unusual looking
locking mats for 'clearance' that was returned by a customer.

It seems that this product was specially ordered for this customer so that
he could cover the floor of a room or more for his child that is in an
electric wheelchair.  I'm not going to guess why this customer would want to
do this for his child in a wheelchair but that is what the salesperson told
me.

The reason I was told that the customer brought this purchase back to the
store was the *now* riding on the foam mat the wheelchair was not *grounded*
and it was interfering with the electronics of the wheelchair itself.
Strange but true - I guess.  It seemed that the mats now let static
electricity interfere with the wheelchair near as I can tell.  Sort of like
walking on a nylon rug in the winter time and getting zapped when you touch
a metal door handle. ;)  I can see how it wouldn't be grounded but I'm not
sure that rubber wheels on a wheelchair are grounded either - but regardless
that was the complaint.  So now Lowe's had a bundle of these things to sell
on 'clearance' as it's not a regular stock item.

These were on 'clearance' for about $20.00 per pack of 4 squares that
measured 2ft x 2ft each.  I purchased several packages of the prewrapped 4
pack bundles.  I paid about $20 for each pack that would cover 16 square
feet.

My idea for us was that I could use them around the house especially
alongside the dog grooming table when I'm there with each dog for hours on
end - it's easy on my feet.  I just lay two of the mats together on each
side so then I have a 4 foot length by 2 foot width of soft on the feet
cushion.  I have also found that they are good to lay on the concrete when I
have to 'crawl' under the tow vehicle to do filter changes, etc.  And they
don't let the cold concrete touch my head, shoulders and back which is also
nice.

Also, these mats will PROTECT my tongue and groove parquet floor in the 34'
Excella FK Airstream very nicely from the dog crates both when collapsed for
travel or setup to house the creatures when at rest.

I think these are a great 'invention' to save not only your feet but also
your floors.  I would have to check out the issue of static electricity
though if I were going to cover an aluminum floor however as the metal floor
might be serving as a ground for the trailer itself.

Tom