Re: [VACList] flooring question

jerry,

I'm not an expert, I only had a mess in my rear and under the front windows.

When AS builds the trailer, they put the floor on the frame, lay a
channel around the edge that is bolted to the floor and then put the top
part on. You're right, the floor does help the strength of the trailer.
And their assembly method is good for them, but not for those who need
to repair the floors. (most of us with oldies)

with that in mind, we try not to remove the floor part that is under the
channel, but do various things to repair the floor.

FIRST make sure it is not leaking anywhere !

1. Get a product called GIT ROT, a 2 part solution that soaks into the
crumbley wood fibers and makes them stronger than the original wood.

2. make patches of plywood and use Git ROT, or other epoxy stuff  to
seal and strenghten.

3. cover the hole with plywood, or make a tricky patch screwed from
underneath.

4. recover the floor with whatever. The plywood floor doesn't have to be
beautiful, just solid. ( my favorite is cork )

If you just have to have that plywood brand new, you will probably have
to do a frame up restoration and lift the top part of the trailer off
the floor. No fun as far as I'm concerned. Go see the archives for stuff
about that.

Good luck,

Daisy