Re: [VACList] Buick Roadmaster Tow Car

Dan

My Roadmaster is the Estate Wagon with the LT1 and towing package. If I
remember correctly the 26' Overlander weighs about 4200# dry, I know that
I'm pushing the limits of the stated 5000# towing limit that is stated for
the Buick, but I try to keep it lightly loaded.

My trips are always within about 200 miles with no mountains, just hills. I
live in coastal New England and generally stick to coastal destinations.
When we go, we always take a 2nd vehicle (there's 6 in the family plus 2 big
dogs) for convienence. No sense trying to squeeze all that stuff and people
into 1 when I don't have to.

However, I've never experienced the slightest problem pulling. There seems
to be a lot of power to pull after all the LT1 engine is the same size as
the standard Suburban engine, isn't it? I'm certain the towing package,
locking rear differential, and lower rear-end ratio help.

I had the Buick prior to the Overlander, in fact when I realized the Buick
had the towing package that's what got me to thinking that I could get a
travel trailer, and then discovered the vintage Airstreams, and then jumped
in both feet. Would never have thought of owning an Airstream (or even a
pop-up for that matter) with only my Volkswagon Vanagon.

I have become my father (memories of that 19659 Ford Country Squire).

Phil Renner
63 Overlander