Re: [VACList] 1977 Argosy\par

Greetings John!

The differences between your '63 Overlander and the '77 Argosy won't be
terribly great so far as operational and utility systems are concerned, and
the typical concerns about structural and floor integrity remain the same.

Some differences that you will encounter include the wrap around wing
windows in the front of the coach - - these can be quite costly to replace
if damaged or broken - - and a new front window rock guard can cost in
excess of $500 if the coach isn't so equipped.  Unlike the '63, you will
find that all windows have tempered safety glass, and if my understanding is
correct some may be thermopane as was found in similar model year
Airstreams.  As with similar model year Airstreams, the tambour cabinet
doors may be a concern - - they can be reproduced, but the tambour material
isn't cheap at something in the neighborhood of $350 for a 4' x 8' sheet - -
the guides and tracks for the tambour (should they need replacement) can
also become expensive at something in the neighborhood of $20 to $30 per
opening.  Another item that can be troublesome is the main door lock - - if
it has been maintained and cared for, it shouldn't pose too great a problem,
but if the door has been frequently slammed or the lock mistreated it can be
expensive to replace/repair - - it seems that the interior handle is a
rather frequent problem point (the one on my '78 Minuet is gradually
disintegrating).

So far as the exterior is concerned, the galvanized end caps can be a
problem to keep protected with paint.  It seems that the paint often fails
from the edges in (resulting from contact between dissimilar metals?) - -
not necessarily difficult to remedy, but something that must be maintained.
The chassis is basic Airstream all of the way, so there is also the concern
about the condition of the DuraTorque axles as would be the case with a
similar Airstream.

Basically, I have really enjoyed the differences between my '64 Overlander
and the '78 Argosy.  Each trailer has its own unique personality, and I am
looking forward to getting even better acquainted with my Argosy.

You wouldn't happen to be looking at one of the rare 1977 24' Minuets with
tandem axles?

Good luck with your inspection!

Kevin

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K250 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
(Towcar-In-Training)