[VACList] '63 Bambi Brakes

Here's a hint:  If the umbilical cord from the trailer to the tow vehicle is
deteriorated or is not the standard 7 - pin in use today you may save some aggravation
by replacing it as part of your brake project.  Note that the color coding is different
on the old trailers.  I have a posting from Greg Paulson which says the early '60's
conversion is " trailer yellow to plug blue,  blue to black, black to center pin(aux),
red, brown, green, white remain the same".  You can purchase prewired plugs with 7 or 8
foot cords from most RV catalogs.  There is an access door in the belly between the arms
of the A-frame which allows you to get at the trailer wires including the brake wires.
When you cut off the old umbilical leave some of the colored wire until you are ready to
connect the new ones.  When you do this be sure you have a solid ground to the trailer
frame and also the body (from the battery too).  I did this and got rid of all kinds of
really poor "fixes" including some nasty external brake wires that had been added over the
past 40 years.   It also cleared up problems with the blinkers that I just couldn't figure
out.

Welcome to the list.  If you have any Bambi questions I am about a year ahead of you and
will do what I can.  Meanwhile I am still learning all kinds of things from the experts on
this list.

Dick
'62 Bambi