Re: [VACList] Vintage Puller

Gerald,
 I've had a fair amount of experience myself with older vehicles, and you're
absolutely right! It's much easier and cheaper to replace all those rubber
parts at home than it is on the road. Not to mention the problems caused by
not replacing that stuff, things like your tire. Or having to get towed. Or
an accident. Or a burnt up engine.

Just this last Fall, a fuel return line on our 1994 Dodge got rotten and was
spraying fuel on the engine and tranny. First symptom was hard starting when
the truck sat overnight, the leak caused air to get into the system. It was
a nasty job to replace that hose, requiring removal of the brake master
cylinder to get to it. We spent several hours (including the false starts)
replacing the line. Now, I should do the suction line because it doesn't
look so great either. We were very glad that we didn't have to work on it in
Rollag, MN, 1000 miles from home. (which is where the problem started)

Besides hoses, belts, and all fluids, it's a good idea to check the brakes
for wear and replace the fluid. (if you don't replace those rubber hoses as
you recommend) Although nearly no one does it, it's a good idea to replace
the brake fluid every few years.

I'd also consider replacing the water pump and having new bearings installed
in the alternator and starter.

<<Jim>>

                       <<http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer>>
                                <<jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>>