[VACList] water heater installation

I posted this a few days ago but got no response so I thought I'd try
again.  Thanks.

I plan to replace my  water heater soon.  When I asked before a couple
of people suggested a 6 gallon Atwood.  But I recall in a discussion
about retrofitting the old Bowen cover that the vent on the Suburban lined
up on the correct side while the Atwood required reversing the hood.  Did
I understand this correctly?  In my case the hood is on the right side as
you look at the water heater from the outside.

I see that the suburban is considerably cheaper than the Atwood.
Does this reflect a big difference in quality/reliability?

Finally, what do I have to do to fit the new water heater to the old Bowen
flange and cover?  It looks like I will have to cut the flange off the Bowen
but then what?  I could really use a very detailed description before I dive
in.  Thanks again.

Dick
'62 Bambi