[VAC] Re: new participant and axles

Hey Warren,

How much does your trailer weigh? And - what tire pressure are you planning
on using to support that weight?

Why do I ask? Your '76 31' is probably somewhat similar in weight to my '77
31' which has been weighed on a "certified scale." I have the "Certified
Weight" slip in hand and it lists our '77 31' at 8795 pounds.

With that weight and after reading your comment about the "lowest tire air
pressure," I wouldn't want to see you inviting high tire temperatures.  For
example, at 35 PSI, my tires would be significantly overloaded and
vulnerable to blow outs caused by excessive flexing and heat buildup.

According to "A Weigh We Go," my tires should be pressurized to 65 pounds.
That would bring their carrying capacity in line with the weight of my
Airstream.

Since being weighed nearly ten years ago, I've followed that recommendation.
We average about 10,000 or more miles a year on our trailer. Each five years
when I trade in my old tires for new ones, my tire guy (long time family
friend) tells me the old ones have worn evenly and I really don't need new
ones yet. His observation tells me my PSI per tire is probably on the mark.

Can any of this data be integrated with your situation?  Maybe yes, maybe
no. Only you can tell us. I'd be interested in reading your perspective. You
have the engineering background to assess such data with considerable
insight.

New topic: A few years back, we attended the Hobo Rally in Blythe after
being on the Colorado River caravan and visiting Death Valley in March. This
Winter will see us exploring different areas of the southeast.  The North
American continent has a continuing fascination for us.

Tomorrow, we roll south and away from snow showers in the Northeast.  Last
week to the north of us, 1-3 inches of snow were recorded.  Suddenly, we're
scrambling to get out of here.

Of course, you know what will occur. As soon as we leave, Indian Summer will
arrive full force and our neighbors will tell us we left just before the
really good weather arrived.  <grin>

Thanks for writing and sharing your introduction. I hope you continue to
chime in when the urge occurs.

Terry
WBCCI 6477