[VAC] new participant and axles

I've been reading the list for a long time but this is my first input to
it. I have a 31 ft. 1976 Sovereign that I pull with a 1992 F250. My wife
died at last years Hobo rally but I an keen to continue Airstreaming. I
live in Victoria B.C. Canada and I am about to retire from a 35 year
career as an engineering professor. So much for an introduction!

Since the recent List articles on axles I have been concerned about my
axles. I have had several interesting discussions with Andy at InlandRV
which have been informative.

Yesterday I made some measurements on one axle and found that its
torsion arm position was 0 deg. under no load, 5 deg. under normal load
and 9.25 deg. under twice normal load. These measurements tell me that
the spring constant is about 300 lbs./deg. Andy tells me that the
maximum torsion arm angle is 13.5 deg. I was surprised to learn that the
arm only rotated 4.25 deg. when I doubled the weight on the axle.

Despite Andy's advice I now feel I can live with the axles and they will
not bottom out. I plan however to purchase new shocks and to maintain
the lowest tire air pressure that will not generate excessive heat.

Any comments would be welcome.

Warren Little, #9302
1976 Sovereign
1992 F250