[VAC] Re: What's that Smell

While at the Fall Escapade, I attended a seminar on fire safety, where
the person indicated that not all CO and Smoke detectors will stand up
to the vibration and temperature extremes of an RV. Naturally, he sold
suitable detectors at his booth, and we bought one of each. The CO
detector is an "Atwood CO Gas Alarm" with digital readout.

The smoke detector is a "Firex, Item #4651".

This guy also sold foam fire extinguishers that are supposedly much
better than the standard powder-filled jobs that most of us have
on-board. One point he made about the latter is that the vibration of RV
travel will tend to pack the powder into an almost-solid mass, reducing
the effectivness if it's needed. It's suggested that you turn it
upside-down and give it a couple or 3 solid raps against something
before use, if you have the presence of mind.

FWIW: we carry FOUR extinguishers: one by the trailer door, one in the
(rear) bathroom, and one behind EACH seat in the P/U truck. At least a
couple are of a larger-than-"standard" size.

Also, FWIW: This guy (with 30+ years of relevant experience) claims that
about 70% of RV fires are caused by the 12VDC electrical system. From
what I've read over the years, I tend to believe it. I personally
believe that a good step towards prevention is a so-called catastrophe
fuse in the main battery lead. It should be about 40 amps in size for
most of our travel trailers, and can be installed in either the positive
or negative lead. Many experts recommend the negative lead, and it must
be situated very near the battery(s). Although it's unlikely that you'll
get shocked by 12VDC, you should realize that the standard battery in
our RVs can deliver up to 2000 amps for a short time. This amount of
current will melt wires, burn holes in your aluminum trailer, and can
easily set other stuff on fire. Besides, the fumes from burning wire
insulation are highly toxic.

                              <<Jim>>