[VAC] Re: converter

Hi Ruth,

While I don't have a tipped over battery, I do have water that enters
through the battery compartment and wets the floor - eventually it will
become soft enough that I have to replace the floor.

However, my purpose in jumping in your thread is to inform  you that plywood
and battery acid are not compatible.  No matter how well  you wash, coat
with baking soda, or attempt to preserve the wood, it's history!!!

I assume that the spill was extensive and must have nearly drained the
battery?  If  you are sure it was only a tiny spill, OK.  However, it was a
large spill keep wet baking soda on the area until you replace the floor in
that area.  Sulfuric acid is almost forever in wood - it just goes on
decomposing the wood.  Think of it as a rapid form of rot.

Hopefully you'll install a hold down for the battery to prevent future
tip-overs as you now realize how expensive the repair can be. :)

I bought the Intelli Power and Charge Wizard at Camping World with the
recommendations from the list.   I'm completely satisfied.  The unit only
weighs about 5 pounds, is nearly noiseless, and functions flawlessly.

Hookup is a bit of a problem if your unit has the DC fuse panel as part of
the Univolt.  I took the fuse panel off the Univolt and installed it in a
plastic electrical box so I could leave all wiring in tact and maintain the
existing fuses, etc.  I couldn't justify constructing a completely new fuse
panel for the purpose.  I installed an electrical box with a grounded
receptacle using the existing AC service.  Then, just plug in the Intelli
Power.

My '69 Safari had the fuse panel in the convenience hatch at the rear of the
trailer and not in the Univolt.  Really made the installation quick and
easy.  Just run a new ground (You'll have to do this with either layout.) as
detailed in the instruction.

As compared to the Univolt,  you won't even know that it's onboard.With it's
small size, you'll have difficulty trying to decide which open space to
secure it to! :)

However, don't be lulled into thinking that you don't have to check the
fluid level every once in a while as a battery will still lose some of it's
electrolyte over time.

Please be sure to construct an appropriate hold down for the battery.
Battery acid spills are a bitch, to say the least! :(

                     '74 Safari, Joy (a retired chemist with archaic
solutions)