[VAC] Re: Winterizing Again

Phil,
  I use the "drain and blow" method of winterizing:

Drain the freshwater tank
Remove the shower hose & head.
Open a faucet and run the pump until dry (you'll hear the pitch change)
Drain the water heater....
WHILE THE HEATER IS DRAINING, open the faucets, one at a time, hot,
cold, hot, cold. The slight vacuum created by the heater draining tends
to such the water out of the lines. Leave the faucets open long enough
for this to happen.
Open low-point drains if you have 'em.
Blow compressed air into the city water inlet using one of those blowout
plugs. I usually have a helper do this, hitting the Schrader valve with
short bursts of air so as to not over-pressure the system.
While he's putting the air to it, I open the faucets again, one at a
time, hot, cold, hot, cold. It might be nice to have the drain plug in
the water heater during this operation.
Run the pump again to make SURE that it's dry.
As Terry said, "wet air" is OK, water is not.
Pour a pint of RV anti-freeze in each trap. Pour just a bit in the
toilet to keep the seal moist.
It's recommended that you lube the waste tank valves with a silicone
spray or something to keep them from sticking, but I usually just leave
'em open.
Leave all faucets and drains open.

This procedure takes maybe 20-30 minutes, leaves no taste in the water
system next Spring, and will definitely prevent freeze damage if done
correctly.

Also, see http://www.phrannie.org/storeRV.html

                                  <<Jim>>